Sunday 16 June 2013

Daddio

Wishing my father a Happy Father's Day!  When I think of my Dad there's lots of stories that flood my memory; watching Dukes of Hazard, Jays games, and Dad dozing off... cutting wood, washing cars, eating watermelon, and droppies (dutch black licorice, salty or sweet), snowmobiling, 4 wheeling, and family adventures for vacations from Canada's East to West Coasts, all in tent trailers, to the walk we shared down the aisle on our wedding day....  My Dad's not a big talker,  but he's a worker, an "I will find a way" kinda man.  Weather it was building a barn so we could have a hobby farm as kids, coming up with a cost effective way to heat our swimming pool, or pouring a cement foundation for a garage; he'd make a plan, and then make it happen.

Our home wasn't perfect, and we have our issues.  There is no perfect upbringing, but always much to be grateful for.  The three things I am most thankful about my father are what he taught (perhaps it's the teacher in him) about; faith, work, and independence.

Dad instructed me, and all of the family in truths of Scripture, and importance of a having and maintaining a personal faith relationship with Christ.  We moved a lot as a family growing up; no matter where Dad's work landed us, a top priority was finding a good church.  

I am also thankful that he taught me to work hard, to not give up, and to always do my best.  He showed this in his own work ethic, and expected it in us as kids; weather it was chores, school work, or employment.  Half-hear-ted wasn't an option.

As Nugteren children sometimes it felt a little like the school of hard-knocks, but looking back it was lessons in independence.  Weather it was saving up to buy something all on our own, or solving a problem, Dad gave us lots of opportunities to figure it out, make mistakes, and learn.  It meant we needed to; become resourceful, humble, realistic, and learn the value of money, hard-work, and determination.  I am thankful now, as an adult that things weren't easily handed our way, it really did teach me much.

Dad.... Daddio, I love you.  I thank you for your involvement in my life, and for what you have taught me.  I pray for us all as a family, as my brothers, your boys are fathering, and as you father grown kids, and grandfather little ones.  May God be glorified in the legacy that is yours.  

 "For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,  from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,  that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,  and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.  Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21


No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the Way backround