Friday 22 March 2013

GUEST POST: In Christ Alone

This blog post is written by Karen Gaul; a NANC certified Biblical Counselor that I respect and appreciate though we've only met in person once, her life and ministry has blessed me.  With her permission I share with you.   

 This past week the news had some great headlines.  White smoke welcomed in the new pope in Rome.  Exciting days for the Catholic Church.
As well I have been taking a course at Heritage Bible College on Philippians and this week we spent our time talking about the completeness of the Gospel.
In my small group we are studying Timothy Keller’s  “The Prodigal God” and we are at a place where we are talking about the elder brother wanting not merely the father but the things of the father; the same as the younger brother.  The challenge was/is for us to look at what we want as well as God?
Do you think God is trying to tell me something?
Then I get to church on Sunday and the message also added to the theme of the week for me.
We tend to have a hard time with “did God say”.  We have been challenged to question that since the fall.

  Is God enough?  Is the work of Christ on Calvary enough?

Being believers who understand truth of course we will say yes, but does that get lived out in the daily routine of our lives?
  • Does it get lived out at the office when things aren’t going smoothly,
  • at the grocery store when the lineup is too long and you are on a tight schedule,
  • or in the kitchen when what you are looking for is not in the cupboard,
  • or in the entrance-way when your children get home from school and just drop everything,
  • or in the family room when hearts overflow?
That is our rub.

We will be adding things like…if life is smooth then God is enough, then I can reflect Him, then I can represent Him.  We self-righteously think…”I don’t deserve this, I’ve done this and this so why God”.  All additions!  We assume that a certain behaviour will warrant favour from God.
It also happens in our churches.  It is easy for us to add something like …baptism, church attendance, being involved, dress, where you go…and much more to that list of things that set us apart.  And some of those things may set us apart but are not part of our salvation and are not indications that God is well pleased or honoured.

I think we can look closer to home.  Even in our own hearts we tend to add things to the Gospel and then when a time of struggle happens we use that as leverage with God.  Either Jesus is enough or He isn’t.

I am grateful that Martin Luther protested against the additions to the Gospel, he brought about the Reformation.  But I also need to look inside myself to see what I have added to the finished work of Christ.  We are really good at taking good things and making them rules to follow.
“Oftentimes the Gospel is wrongly reduced to rules, many of which are extra-biblical.”  Tim Lane
A class mate of mine writes…”Personally, I think the idea of a salvation by works is deeply embedded within the sin nature of every human being….”  M. Sealy
We live in a world that is all about doing something to earn or get something else. That was the life of the elder brother in the parable of the Prodigal son.  He worked hard, he did was he was told to do, he towed the line, he was obedient.  Externally he looked very righteous.  However, his obedience was not born out of a love relationship for the father rather it was about what he could get from the father instead.
I like lists.  I have often said to God, just tell me what to do and I will do it.  I don’t need  a relationship with Him for that to happen.

If we add things to the Gospel it will ultimately leave us in bondage.  If I just do this or that then God will bless or save me. If I get baptized, or go to confession of faith classes, if I attend Bible studies then I have my ticket for heaven.   But how do we determine what those things are?  What happens then when we fall off the turnip truck and really mess up – then what?  We question our salvation. We question whether or not God loves us, we question all sorts of things.

I’m not saying those things are wrong to do because they are all good things to do for certain, but if our heart is doing them because of what we get from it and not for love of Christ it will end in chains.  You will get frustrated, and angry and bitter.  You will still be empty.

 

O thank God for His grace. 

I’m not good enough and I never will be that is the whole point of the Gospel message.  Jesus came for me because I’m not good enough.
We live in a world that rewards good behaviour and good deeds, and we can so easily and quickly add that to the Gospel.

Phil 3:8 Paul says “I count all things to be loss for the sake of Christ… and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ.” 

We will not gain a relationship with the risen Lord as long as we place unbiblical value on the to-do list.
“Paul  knew this better than anyone.  He did not fail to earn salvation for lack of trying, he gave it his best shot and could match his effort against anyone”. [see Phil 3]  “To add to the cross of Christ is to rob Him of His glory”.  Michael Sealy
From the 95 thesis that were nailed to the church door in 1517 we learn
  • that it is the Word Alone that is the ultimate authority.  Sola Scriptura 
  • that God alone gives and dispenses His Grace.  Sola Gratia  
  • that We are saved by faith alone Ephesians 2:8,9  Sola fide
  • And it is all in the name of Christ alone.  Solus Christus
  • and ultimately All to the glory of God alone. Soli Deo Gloria

In Christ Alone My Hope is Found.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the Way backround