Sunday 12 May 2013

Be a Choosey Chooser!

Is choosey even a word?  Yes, yes... it is.  It means "difficult to please".

My hubby and I are enjoy Netflix very much, right now we are watching our way through "Diff'rent Strokes" an ol goodie classic.  "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?" being a classic phrase from the show.  :) The episode (Season #1, Episode 12-if you want to see it yourself) we enjoyed while eating lunch today on this snowy Mother's Day touched on this topic of choosing I've been mulling over for quite some time...

Like all other shows and movies, it's is a scripted sitcom, but the principles of choosing are relate-able.  The father, Mr. Drummond has prioritized his role as a Dad in his mind and practice long before a lady-friend entered his life.  When he sees they are on different pages concerning priorities, he makes an informed choice.  He chooses not to take his relationship with her any further (marriage) in order to stay true to his convictions in fathering his kids.

You and I are born choosers.  We are constantly prioritizing as we choose, and spending our lives in the process.  Small choices are what make up a life, day by day....  Choosing shows what we value/who we worship.

It's important to think on your personal values, and beliefs, as these are the foundation that you use as your framework in decision making.  My Mom modelled for me being a "choosey chooser", I am sure my four brothers would agree.  She is thrifty, precise in purchases, and often sacrifices some comforts for us as kids.  As we grew she'd let us choose; giving us a little money at a store, or allowing us to choose to save the money for vacation time, etc.  We also learned about choosing friends, how we spent our time, the importance of being honest, hard-work, not doing things to get the credit, and more.  She and Dad were preparing us for adulthood, as more and more choices of significance became ours to make.  I am grateful for my mother's influence on Mother's Day, and many other days as I see the values and life lessons she's shown, and continues to teach.

Our choices are our own, no one else is to blame, and we will face the consequences or blessings of those choices long-term.  Gary Stairs, a friend, and co-missionary we respect and appreciate shared this morning in Sunday School from the book of Daniel.  We discussed the resolve, and intentionality of Daniel's life.  Gary quoted a teen who in 1995 said;
   "At Word of Life Camp this summer I decided to follow God's plan for my life instead of Satan's plan for my death!" 
 I wonder where that teen is today?  What they value?  What they prioritize?  We each have to set our focus, our goals, our base line non-negotiables, so that when life decisions need to be made we know where we stand.  These are our personal standards.  I've spent time honing my list, and this is what I've decided matters to me, at the core of who I am.  I made this list some years back.  Beside each statement is a Biblical reference because I believe the Bible is God's Word, my source of truth, and His guide book for living.  For me, Karen Sophia Earls, these statements are my lines in the sand, I will stand firm on these values.

  • I am a relentless follower of Jesus Christ.  (Galatians 2:20, 5:24,25)
  • I desire His will for my life.  (1 Peter 4:2b, Ephesians 5:8-10)
  • I am a pursuer of wisdom. (Proverbs 31:26)
  • I am dedicated to purity. (Matthew 5:8)
  • I am sincere about living joyfully. (Psalm 28:7, Philippians 4:4, John 15:11, 1 Peter 4:13)
  • I am wholeheartedly committed to Nathan Earls.  (Genesis 2:2, Proverbs 31:11,12, Ephesians 5:33b)
  • I am passionate about discipling young women.  2 Timothy 2:2, Titus 2:3,4, Matthew 28:19,20)
  • I want to keep a God honoring home and use it in hospitality for the Lord. (1 Peter 4:9)
  • I seek to share the gospel boldly.  (Romans 1:16)
  • I aim to spend my life for God's glory.  (Romans 12:1,2, Galatians 2:20)
Fully Surrendered to the worthy Saviour of my soul.   

I share these personal convictions here on my blog not to convey pride, or to push my values on you.  I post them publicly for a few reasons.  First, to urge you to decide for yourself where you stand in life and why.  Second, to make myself vulnerable and open to the accountability of others.  I know I struggle to keep these principles true in every area of my life.  I welcome criticism. Though we all prefer encouragement, we need the loving words of others to keep us in check.  

So, I choose to be choosey.... I pray daily God helps me to pick the wise road, to honour Him, to be committed to these Biblical principles.  It's all His grace that enables me, and His grace that I rest in each time I fail.  We're all living, breathing, choosers.  Choose wisely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Along the Way backround